Examination of magnetostructural effects in troilite (FeS) and pyrrhotite (Fe1-xS,
with various ordered structures (Fe7S8)).
- sulphide waste from industry is a source of acid runoff and environmental degradation.
- sulphide deposition by bacteria in anoxic conditions can remove both sulphur and
heavy metals (e.g. arsenic) from solution.
- planetary science: iron sulphides are candidate minerals in the composition of Mars.
Structure of troilite
- Current simulations are able to accurately reproduce the structure and properties of troilite
- Calculations on spin-polarised and non-spin-polarised FeS show that
magnetostructural effects are significant
- The pressure induced phase transition to the MnP structure is predicted to occur at 3.9 Gpa
Stephen Wells and Kate Wright, Royal Institution, London
contact email -
© UoE HPCX Ltd